Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The Namesake...Kumar is that you?




So I was bored this past Monday. I checked out the movies on HBO-on demand and I watched The Namesake directed by Mira Nair starring Kal Penn. I only knew Kal Penn from his roles in the Harold & Kumar movies. He played a funny pothead who was really laid back but incredibly smart. In the Namesake, he is the son of immigrant parents from India who are adapting to American customs. . I absolutely loved this movie! I felt that it truly portrayed an immigrants family double life of trying to keep their culture alive while learning new American traditions. The story taught me a few things about Indian culture. I learned that you wear white to an Indian funeral and an Indian bride is adorned with red clothing and lots of beautiful gold jewelry. It was a touching movie and I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment